From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Apr 2002 10:52:19 -0500
You are most likely suffering from what is known as "memory leak" in
one of your programs.  When an improperly written program is run
it grabs memory to use.  When it is done,  it is supposed to return that
memory, but for some reason does not.  The memory sort of floats
without being used.  If the same code is used over and over, then more
and more memory becomes "floating."   Eventually it can use up your
surplus resources and even crash.

It will not do much good to delete programs that you want in order
to conserve memory, as that memory will be gobbled up eventually
too.

Perhaps you can find the offender.  Try running everything except
one program for a while and observe your memory usage.  Do this
every day on a different program.  Eventually you may be able to
find the memory grabber.

Once a program concludes, the memory should return to the system.
Therefore, you can still use the offending program, but you can not
leave it on all day.  You have to run it and then end it when you are
done.

If  I recall correctly, Internet Explorer had a reputation for this in the
past.  If you can update to version 5 or 6 this **may** be able to
solve the problem.  (Others may be able to make suggestions
better than I.)

HTH

Dean Kukral   [log in to unmask]