From:
Dennis Noble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 17:12:15 -0600
I believe that there is a misconseption about what a "Winmodem" actually is.
I have tried modems that are known as "HSP" or "Host Signal Processing"
modems which use the CPU to do virtually all of the modems functions. In my
experience, they slow down even the fastest sytems that I build. These are
the least expensive and usally state that they require a P166 or better. I
will not use this type of modem at all.

The second type of modem is what is refered to by my modem mfg as a "Single
Chip Winmodem" and it also states that it requires a P166 however it uses a
Rockwell chipset and I have had good luck with this product even in system
as slow as an old Cyrix P120+ and a P100. I would only recomend using this
product in a P166 because of the mfg. suggestion. This modem does some of
its own work but also uses the CPU for some functions.

Fianlly, the modem that I usually use is refered to by my modem mfg as a
"dual chip modem". This modem states that it only requires a 486 with an
open PCI slot. It also uses a generic Rockwell chipset but has two chips on
the modem board. I was told that the only reason that it requires windows is
to assign IRQ and Com settings. I have not installed this product into a 486
I have used it in a P60 and it worked very well.

Finally, I would like to say that I have done my own very unscientific
testing and found all of the above with the exception of the HSP type which
used a PCTel chipset, performed downloads as fast as any of the name brand
modems that I tested. I usually try to use the dual chip modem that I
discussed.

Dennis Noble
Computer Parts & Upgrades
Phone: 512-949-2085
Fax: 512-949-9357
Quality over Quantity
http://www.computersalacarte.com

>I have heard that I am better off not getting a Winmodem.  Most machines
seem
>to come with that.  What difference does it make prctically speaking?
>Also if the modem says "with sound" does that mean you can have a telephone
>conversation over it, or does it have to say something else?
>Thank you for your advice,
>Ira Wallin

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html