Date:
Wed, 2 Jan 2002 21:49:36 -0800
 you wrote:

>Date:    Wed, 2 Jan 2002 17:09:03 -0500
>From:    Paul Hachmeyer <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: WIN98-VMM32.VXD missing/unable to load error
>
>I'm trying to install a new scsi 9 gb hd in my HP Vectra 266
>machine.  I have successfully done a lowlevelformat with the
>scsi utility, fdisked to one 9 gb active partition fat 32,
>formatted the drive and installed win98.  However, as win98
>installs all the drivers and auto-reboots, I get the above
>error.
>I do have a UMAX scsi scanner and the scsi card is
>installed, but no software has been installed by me, other
>than what win98 may be loading.
>The following article talks of rebuilding the file:
>http://www.windows-help.net/windows98/vmm32.shtml
>I have also seen several articles regarding scsi/usb
>conflicts with win98.  Has anyone else experienced a similar
>problem?  I have not been able to locate files such as
>detroit.bat, umaxis11.386, as mentioned in Microsoft
>documentation, etc.

This does sound exactly like a certain common UMAX problem.

richly documented and solved in many ways at.

http://support.umax.co.uk/

read the article "Missing or Damaged VMM32.VXD"

there is another note at

http://www.umax.com/support/knowledge/solutionsSC.cfm?docs=SC00049

The Umax UK support site also has info about getting "old" "consumer
grade" SCSI UMAX scanners working under Windows 2000.
Info the Umax US franchise doesn't get into.

Mark Paulson

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml