From:
Yoke Lim Chew <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 May 2014 14:45:01 +0800
Hi

I have been tolerably happy using Windows XP 32-bit for many years.

Now it appears it's time to move on - in my case, to Windows 7 64-bit,
which I had bought before Windows 8 came out. (That's how long ago I had
intended to switch but didn't get round to doing it.)

In XP, I had a dedicated partition for the swap file, not wanting the swap
file to be on the C drive.

Q1 for 7: Presumably 7 also needs space for the swap file. I have 8G RAM.
Is it a good idea to use a dedicated partition for the swap file in 7? If
so, how much space should I provide?

I have many XP programs which I would like to use in 7. I can, of course,
continue to run them on the XP PC, which I am retaining, but I believe that
in 7 there is an option to install a component allowing XP programs to run
in 7.

Q2 for 7: Is it a good idea to install the XP component? If installed, can
7 64-bit run XP 32-bit programs?

Most, if not all, data and other user files on XP will be moved over to the
7 PC.

Q3 for 7: Can 7 64-bit programs still read files created on XP 32-bit
programs - assuming 7 programs are backward compatible?

Final general note: Any advice in general for things to consider or to look
out for in the installation of 7 64-bit will be gratefully accepted and
deeply appreciated.

Thanks for any input.

Lym.

                          PCSOFT's List Owners: