From:
Kyle Elmblade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jul 1999 21:09:35 GMT
I'm sure that others will jump in on this too, but a correction needs to be
made on this response.  I agree with you on the Celeron processor over the
AMD (though I believe AMD is a good choice for a powerful workstation that
will not be used for high-end applications).  I have a PII 300A Celeron
processor with 128k cache on it.  It IS a Slot 1 processor.  Almost all of
the Celeron's come in both Socket 370 and Slot 1 flavors.  You are correct
in that most Slot 1 motherboards come with a Socket 370 adapter.  As far as
benchmarks on which is faster/better, I can't help you there.

I would like to second her response about the RAM.  Get the good stuff.  It
won't be that much more expensive, and it will save you some trouble down
the road.

Kyle

>From: Jan Lambert <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] mobo for K6II-400
>Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 10:08:26 -0700

> >I need to assemble a non expensive PC for someone, so I thought
> >of either K6II-400MHz or Celeron 400MHz.  I understand that the
> >AMD is better but that the Celeron can be put on a standard
> >slot-1 motherboardwhich means that if she wants to upgrade to
> >Pentium II or III, then it is possible. I guess that my
> >preferences is for the AMD as when she wants to upgrade, probably
> >none of the existing motherboards will be relevant.
> >Now I have to choose a reasonable non expensive motherboard for
> >the k6II.
>

> >Any recommendations?
>
> >Uzi
>
>I have to dissagree with your choice of processor. The new
>(non-300) Celeron has a cache and is comparable or better than the
>K6-2 with the same clock. A bigger issue is the use of the
>processor for research simulations, AMD's floating point
>implementations are significantly slower than Intel's.
>
>Celeron's use Socket 370, not Slot 1. Many motherboard
>manufacturers include a Socket 370 adapter card with their Slot 1
>boards. THe K6-2 uses the Super-7 socket, and it is upwardly
>mobile to the K6-3 but that is the end of the line.
>
>Also,  "cheap 100 MHz RAMs" may give you some grief. SDRAM specs
>are a bit shaky these days. "Officially" PC100 is a spec set by
>Intel to insure that conforming SDRAM will work with it's
>processors at 100MHz. It has an access time spec of 8 nS!!! The
>stuff marketted as 100MHz is spec'd at 10 nS. It will work with 95
>MHz busses, which is why AMD is selling an odd speed K6/2-375
>selected for that grade. Worse, even places like FRY's are
>advertising 10nS units as PC100. Sometimes the 10nS will work just
>fine on a 100MHz bus. Good if you are building a game machine, but
>not good if your friend is doing serious stuff, where an
>occasional undetected woops can have long term consequences. If
>you want to save money, go with a Celeron 366, which uses a 66MHz
>bus. It will not be a screamer by today's standard, and the gamers
>will snicker, but it will work all the time. Again note that if
>you put in non-PC100 (real) memory, she'll have to replace it if
>she upgrades to a 100 MHz bus.
>
>jan lambert

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html