From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 May 2000 09:41:11 -0400
I have never seen a convertor for going from the socket 370 to a slot one.
I really don't think such a critter exists.

There are some new Celerons out, referred to as Celeron IIs, Coppermine
Celerons, or Flipchip Celerons.  These are different than the original line
of Celerons, as they are based on the .18micron core of the flipchip
Coppermine PIII.  These start at 533mhz, so there is some overlap between
the two lines of chips.  Often the flipchip 533 celeron is distinguished
from its older cousin by calling it a Celeron 533A (just as the Celeron 300A
distinguished itself from its predecessor).  I think the pinout for the
newer Celerons is different from the older socket 370 celerons.  I know that
you need a newer model adaptor card designed for the flipchip PIII if you
try to use the socket 370 PIII in a slot one motherboard.  I assume the same
is true with the new celerons.  It may be that a BIOS flash is sufficent and
available to upgrade a socket 370 to accept flipchip PIIIs and Celerons;
perhaps, someone has more information on that issue.

In any case, I would think that an older model 533 should work even without
a BIOS upgrade, since the multiplier is built into the processor.  The BIOS
may not identify the processor or its speed correctly, but it will be
running at 8x66=533mhz.

John Sproule