From:
Gary Cassidy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Feb 2001 19:55:34 -0500
Just wondering if anyone has a sense of any major advantages to using a
LinkSys (or other brand) Cable Modem Router  over a Proxy Server when
sharing an Internet Connection.

I have @Home service connected to a Celeron 366A.  This in turn is
networked to an ancient old 486 using a simple Peer To Peer network (an
Ethernet card in each beast connected by a Cat5 cable). The Internet is
currently shared to the 486 by means of AnalogX Proxy (www.analogx.com last
time I visited the site).  The connection on the Celeron is lightening
quick while the connection on the 486 resembles my old 56 K modem.  My son
and wife do some surfing while I work and they are quite frustrated by the
difference.

I'm considering picking up a LinkSys router both to speed up the connect
but also because I may possibly be adding another computer to the mix and
will need to connect all three so a hub or router will be needed.

The only other consideration I should mention is that I use ZoneAlarm
configured to allow access to the 486.

Thanks for any ideas/comments

Gary

As for me and my house,