From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 1999 13:20:51 -0800
On 14 Apr 99, at 9:59, Donald Rex Gaither wrote:

> On Tuesday, April 13, 1999 11:50 AM, Timchenko Maxim
> [SMTP:[log in to unmask]] wrote:
> >   The subject says it all... I plan to buy a 400 and
> > clock it to 450, and with some luck to 490; I have
> > two boards to choose from : a Crusader for $80 and
> > an ABit BH6 for $130 [I live in Israel, and prices may
> > be different from the U.S.].  I Have serious doubts about
> > this crusader thing... Should I invest in expensive,
> > but [as far as I've heard] good board?
> >

>   I know someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think
> you can do this.  As I understand it all Slot 1 CPUs are
> clocked-locked.  i.e., they run at the FSB times a preset
> unchangeable multiplier.  Now all Celerons run at an FSB of 66 MHz,
> so it is possible to overclock them my modifying one of the "pins" so
> the FSB will run at 100 MHZ.  The problem with this though, is that
> will cause your CPU to run at an unchangeable 50% faster or 600 MHZ
> at your case, a speed which your CPU is probably not going to handle.

  Donald's response is not really wrong, but it does call for
clarification on a couple of points.

  A CPU that will only run with a specific FSB setting is "clock
locked"; one that provides only a single multiplier setting is
"multiplier locked"; to date, this includes all Celeron CPUs.
  Since a Celeron 400 is locked to a 6.0x multiplier, you can get 450
MHz by setting the FSB to 75 MHz.  It's true that only a few
motherboards provide this, and some PCI peripherals may not like it,
but of course it may not work at all on any given CPU.  Similarly, you
may be able to get about 490 MHz (nearer 498) if the motherboard
provides an 83 MHz FSB setting.
  [Things may be changed on the newest Celerons, but on earlier
Celerons the L2 cache on the chip could not be pushed to 500 MHz or
beyond.  300A->450 has worked for a lot of people; 333->500 for nobody
I know.  400->498 might encounter similar problems.]

David G

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html