From:
"Paul A. Shippert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2006 17:57:11 +0000
Greetings all--
------original messages---------
From: Brian <[log in to unmask]>
> > Recently I built a computer using an Intel 945 GNT mobo, Intel Pen D 3.2 Ghz
> processor, 4Gb RAM, 2 WD 320 Gb Hd's and Windows Media Center 2005 OS. The
> > problem is that when I tried to load the OS, I Kept getting the following
> messages "PXE-E61 MEDIA TEST FAILURE CHECK CABLE and PXE-MOF EXITING INTEL BOOT
> > AGENT ". I went into the BIOS and tried various changes to no effect, then I
> took out 3Gb of RAM and still no effect. I even got a 40 Gb Hard Drive
> > thinking that might help,but to no avail. I then loaded the OS to a hard drive
> from my other computer hoping that might work. The OS started working for
> > about 5 seconds,then nothing. I hope you can shed some light on what to do to
> resolve my problem. Thank-You very Much, [log in to unmask]
>

> Disable the onboard LAN in the BIOS. Should clear it up.
----end originals----------

You may not need to disable the LAN in the BIOS. Clearly, by the text of the error message, the computer is trying to 'boot to the network'. There should be an area in the BIOS where you can change the boot order to go to the CD, then to the hard disk. Many people set the CD as the first boot device for purposes of installing Operating Systems (like Windows XP). When no bootable CD is found the computer should then try to boot from the hard disk. It seems to me that you may not have installed the OS to the hard disk in the first place, due to this boot order configuration.

HTH and good luck.

Paul A. Shippert
and I'm hovering like a fly
waiting for the windshield on the