From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 May 1999 12:06:46 -0500
From: Dave Schroeder Subject:
Re: [PCBUILD] PCI paralel port

> I just recently tried to add a PCI parallel port to my PII-266 only to
> find out that I didn't have an open IRQ.  All were already being used.
> >
>         I have no other parallel port on my computer other than my
> printer port,
>         which is already pre set into the board. its a plug n play with
> no jumpers.
>         it only has one port on it.
>
>         >This sounds like a conflict between the card and some other
> hardware.  Do
>         >you have a parallel port on your motherboard?  What are its
> settings?  Is
>         >the card a plug-and-play type or does it have jumper settings?
> What other
>         >hardware do you have in the system?  Is this card just a
> parallel port or
>         >are there other ports of some kind on it?
>         >
>         >At 03:47 PM 5/4/99 PDT, you wrote:
>         > >ok guyz, I'm tryin 2 plug a single PCI I/O card inside my
> computer.
>         > >my computer is a PenII and has two slots open.
>         > >whenever I plug it in, I install the driver, and then it
> restarts.
>         > >when it restarts the computer freezes up just before it loads
> win98.
>         > >I have changed the settings from ECP, EPP, and
> Bi-Directional. Always
>         >does
>         > >the same. when I unplug the card the computer boots up fine.
> I exchanged
>         >the
>         > >card for a different type of card and I am still comeing up
> with the same
>         > >problem.
>         >

There are PCI parrallel ports cards that do not require an IRQ to be used.
I installed one in a friends computer who had no open IRQ's left.  It worked
beautifully.  I am sorry but I don't remember who made it.  I did find a
parallel port adapter that shares IRQ's from SIIG, You should be able to
have it share your printer port that is located on your motherboard with no
problem, most likely IRQ 7.

Mary Wolden