From:
joseph marty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Sep 2003 21:02:13 -0400
Right click on the "my computer" icon on your desktop and choose properties. Choose the "device manager" tab and check to see how many hard drives, display adapters, monitors, imaging devices, and modems are shown as being installed. Win 98 SE reinstalls stuff you already have for some unknown reason.  I usually get 3 or 4 monitors.  If you have more than one default monitor, delete them all.  You may have more than one modem showing even if you have only one.  It is best to delete all of them and start a new installation, but since you are a novice, try deleting just one and see what happens on a restart.  What happens is that Windows is having a hard time finishing loading, thus you get the DOS screen you are seeing.  Many times it will load OK after that, but sometimes it will only go into safe mode.  If you are never going into safe mode, then your problem may be different.