From:
"Paul A. Shippert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Aug 2003 08:05:41 -0400
Greetings--

My responses are interspersed.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Frank R. Brown" <[log in to unmask]>

> I'm looking to put together a system
> (enthusiast / general-aggressive computing / gaming),
> and will have many questions, and look forward to your
> advice.
>
> First question:
>
> I'm looking at using a GA-8knxp motherboard with a
> 2.8 GHz P4 processor.  How does this sound?
> Does it make sense?  It seems like the next couple
> of steps in processor speed start costing that "latest
> and greatest" premium.

I have no experience with the Gigabyte boards, but I believe
your comments re: latest and greatest premium are on target.

> My sense is that AMD is not really in the running,
> performance-wise, and probably not still the value
> choice at the high end.  Do people agree?  I don't
> have any desire to pay extra for the "brand" name.
> (My last system was AMD.)  But (having ditched
> Rambus) it looks like Intel is ahead at the higher
> end.

AMD is considered by many to be on a par and has
topped PC World's performance test listings of late.

Some of Intel's fastest combinations still utilize Rambus,
but, in my opinion, the "bang is not quite worth the buck".

> I'm also considering getting the "Ultra" version of the
> motherboard, with onboard Adaptec (AIC-7902?)
> ultra-320 scsi controller, to be paired with a Seagate
> Cheetah 15,000-rpm ultra-320 scsi drive.  It's pricey,
> but I've always felt that os/pagefile disk performance
> is often underestimated in terms of overall system
> performance.  Does the ultra-320 choice make sense?
> Does anyone have experience with the "Ultra" motherboard?
> Would I be better off with a regular motherboard (Gigabyte
> or someone else) and a separate scsi controller card?

I have used an IWILL and an ASUS board with integrated
SCSI (the IWILL with Adaptec 2940 Ultra-Wide and the
ASUS with Adaptec 2980 Ultra2 SCSI, 40 and 80 MB/sec.,
respectively), and have burned out both of them.  I believe
you will be better off with a separate SCSI Host Adapter
Card, due to the additional stress the integrated SCSI appears
to place on the motherboard.  Perhaps I got two lemons, but
I consider this a bit unlikely.

I agree with your conclusion that the Ultra-320 SCSI will net
noticeable performance gains.  I currently run a Seagate Cheetah
Ultra-160 hard disk with a separate controller card and am
very happy with the performance, particularly when using Pinnacle
Micro's StudioDV video editing software.

Hope you find this information useful.

Paul A. Shippert

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml