From:
Gary Tennesen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 May 2004 10:42:35 -0700
My first guess is that your computer has setup in the BIOS   (f10 key
screen) with the hard drive as the first boot device.

This explains why it doesn't load from the CD or the floppy.  The computer
will only revert to those devices  if it determines the hard drive doesn't
work.  Apparently, your hard drive DOES work, it probably has a problem with
the boot sector or a corrupted system file.

then hard drive. For performance purposes, I might only recommend this order
while troubleshooting or repairing.  If you have a bootable XP cd then you
can reinstall without losing any data or settings.

Be careful about using Compaq's restore disk as it can format your whole
drive or almost worse yet, install an older OS on top of your current -- oh
yeah, it'll run but stable?  Nah.

Another suggestion would be to try poking around your settings while in safe
mode.   You can get there by politely tapping the F8 key repeatedly right
after the system memory check....or some people work it better by tapping
just before the Windows "splash screen" (the screen that appears for a
moment or so before your login or desktop).

If you've hit the F8 key at the right time, you will then see a DOS-like
menu screen wherein you can select "safe mode."  If your timing was off, you
will see the splash screen and you should immediately hit your reset button
to retry.

--gary tennesen