From:
Jeff Long <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 May 2004 10:52:06 -0500
Listers:

I have an IBM T21 laptop running Windows 2000 w/SP 4 and all critical updates installed, up-to-date AVG and Zone Alarm.

I was uninstalling some software (an accounting package and Palm's software) prior to giving to my son. When I attempted to connect via dial-up (I use IE 6.0) I received the following message "Could not detect modem. May be in use, turned off or not installed properly." I had no problems prior to uninstalling the software.

Device Manager indicates the modem is on COM 3 and the device status box indicates the modem is working correctly. Under "Ports" are COM 1, COM 4 and LPT 1. The Device Status of COM 4 states "this device cannot start." I have followed the "troubleshooter" process through, uninstalled COM 4 installed a new COM port, which always installs to COM 4.

I tried uninstalling the modem and letting the system detect and install the modem, but still the problem with the COM port.

Any ideas why this happened, and how to fix it?  Thanks for the help.

Jeff Long

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml