From:
Russ Poffenberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Sep 2005 11:51:36 -0700
Loy,

What you are probably seeing are cluster size losses. Since you are using
FAT32, then the disk is broken down into some number of fixed size
clusters. For a 40GB disk, the cluster size is 32K. Meaning that every
file, no matter how small it is, occupies at least one full cluster or 32K.
So while a file may be just a few bytes, it still occupies 32KB on disk. If
a file is slighter larger than32KB, then it occupies two clusters or 64KB
minimum.

If you have lots of files, then these losses add up. NTFS does not have
this kind of problem. One place where a lot of small files get stored is in
your IE cache. Try clearing that out by going to "Tools -> options". Under
"Temporary internet files", click on "Delete files". Under "Settings", you
can limit the amount of space allocated to this, hence reducing the number
of files. Many files are cached html files are are pretty small.

You could also consider upgrading the filesystem the NTFS.

At 11:29 AM 9/12/2005, you wrote:
>Hi Mark,
>
>I do have Partition Magic 8.0.  It shows that I have only one partition
>on Drive C: and the following information:
>
>type:  FAT32
>size MB:  38,262.2
>Used MB:  15,992.8
>Unused MB:  14,246.7
>Pri/Log:  Primary
>
>If you will notice, the used and unused MB reported by Partition Magic
>add up to a total of 30,239.5 MB.  That means that there is a difference
>of 8,022.7 MB between the total of the used and unused MB and the size
>of the drive (38,262.2 minus 30,239.5 = 8,022.7 MB).  What happened to
>the 8,022.7 MB?

Russ Poffenberger

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml