From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Apr 1998 04:04:26 -0400
Tony, do you mean the pc boots if the monitor is turned off?
However unlikely it may sound, it may simply be the circuit
current is insufficient to power both the monitor and the pc.
I see this occasionally with printers, which can really draw
some watts, never with monitors, but I had to mention it
since my first run-in with this was a real hair puller.  I hope
it is that simple.  If it is indeed shorting, I have seen both types
of behavior: lots of beeps and a partial boot, like from a short on
a motherboard mounting screw, and nothing not even the fan
runs, from a shorted diskette drive.  Which behavior do you have?
It would help narrow down the causes.
tom turak