From:
Donald Rex Gaither <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 10:12:12 -0500
        Ted Neitz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm looking to upgrade my modem from a 28.8 to a 56K.  Can anyone provide
me
>with the advantages/disadvantages of a modem using a PCI bus vs the ISA
bus.

>Thanks in advance for your help.
>
>Ted Neitz

Hi,
    Although I have never dealt with PCI modems, they have been discussed
alot on this list.  Here are the pro's and con's I see based on the emails
on this list and other sources.

Pros:  Full PNP in Windows 9X; Greater bandwith availible;  Easier to reuse
(Intel and Microsoft's PC 98 specification requires NO ISA cards.  This
won't matter to a home user unless you want to use the modem in a futer
motherboard upgrade (It's possible that motherboards may only have one (or
no) ISA slots soon (hey, they're already down to two on many new ones).

Cons:  Many are win modems (the greater bandwith makes it easier to hide
the performance hit of a winmodem).  Many users seem to have configuration
problems with PCI modems.

These are only my opinions, I could be wrong.

HTH,
Donald Gaither

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html