From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 13:20:49 -0600
At 11:43 AM 07/13/2000 , Kevin Weaver wrote:

>Your response to this question brought up a question of my own. Currently I
>have two computers and a cable modem all connected together with a hub.
>Unfortunetly I am not able to connect to the internet on the second
>computer. I have been told that I need to contact the cable company so they
>can configure the account for two computers.
>
>I have also been told that if I use two network cards in the host computer
>(one for the other computer and one for the modem) and get rid of the hub, I
>should be able to connect to the internet on both computers without any
>"intervention" from the cable company. Is this correct?

Basically, the way you have your network configured now, both PCs are
able to use the Internet, but only one has been granted an IP address
by the cable company.  You can contact your cable provider and add the
second system for what is usually about $5 a month extra, or $60 a year.

Some people find that ongoing expense an issue and prefer a different
solution that is a one time cost, in the case of Wingate, the home user
version is $39.95.   Also know that Windows98 has VPN or Virtual Private
Networking built in to the operating system and is something like Wingate
but provides a limited amount of firewall protection...  it can easily be
overcome by a dedicated hacker interested in accessing your system.
I will also mention that there are other such Internet Proxy software
packages:  Sygate, All Aboard, Avirt, RideWay, WinProxy and many
more...  check out Tuocows shareware site for other packages:
      http://tucows.xmission.com/share95.html

The way you have your LAN configured now, you would need to
unhook the Cable Modem from the hub, add a second NIC or Network
Card to your PC and connect the Cable Modem to this new NIC.  Then,
you access the Internet directly through your PC and provide Proxy
service back to the Network via a proxy software package that would
move data through your PC.  You disable file sharing and print sharing
on the NIC connected to the Cable modem and make sure your Proxy
software, such as Wingate only allows users on your network to access
Wingate.  This makes your Network tight and no one can hack into it or
through it.

Why do I mention all this stuff about hacking?
When you setup a network using a proxy server, there are arrant children
in the world, usually using IRC, who us port scanners to find proxy server(s)
software and login, only to then log back onto IRC or other places appearing
to be you.  This can rob you of your bandwidth and create huge issues to
you as the reported villain in any nonsense they my perpetrate.  So, if
you use Proxy Software, be sure to have it closed to outside access.

This is not difficult to do if you take the time to close up the services and
access.  But, many people opt for just renting an additional IP address from
their Cable provider to prevent these issues.   Both myself and Drew Dunn
have been set upon in the last few years by such children, causing us
to become more acutely aware of network security.  Of course we are
obvious targets based upon our public presence on the Internet...  and
most people will not have these issues.  But, if they start, it takes some
work to close off their access...  *wink*

So, my point here is:  Your PC uses one NIC to access the Cable modem.
Then, the second NIC is used to access your home network.  The Proxy
Software allows the network and any computers on the network access
to the Internet.  Wingate or other Proxy software will provide the 'firewall'
protection for your network...  you protect your PC by closing off file sharing
and print sharing to the Cable Modem NIC.

I hope that better answers your question.

     Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html