From:
Larry Atlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Dec 1998 07:56:41 -0600
> Dave Perry wrote:
>
> > My boys have a Cyrix 233 chip in their computer. They play alot of video
> > games on it and are frustrated with how slow it is. Apparently it sucks
> > with QuakeII !!!!
> >
> > They are considering spending their xmas money on a 300mmx Cyrix. I'm
> > wondering whether they will notice much performance gain for their money.
> > They have a 4MB S3 Virge video card and ideally they would prefer a Voodoo
> > card of some sought. I put a 16mb Voodoo Banshee in their 233mmx the other
> > day just for trial purposes and they didnt notice a great deal of
> > performance difference. So, I've suggested they get a faster processor
> > first and then maybe the expensive Banshee later. Has anyone some thoughts
> > on these points???

My first suggestion is NOT to upgrade with a faster Cyrix processor if
the intended use is games.  You won't notice much difference for the
money because the floating point performance is not good.  Better bet is
a Pentium MMX or PII processor for this purpose.

More memory will never hurt but may not help much, depending on how much
you have.  You didn't mention the size/brand of the HD or the speed of
the CD-ROM drive.  If it is an older, slower CD-ROM drive, this could
drag down performance, and a slow HD will hinder things too.  Check out
these components and without further data, I would suggest the processor
upgrade first.    HTH

--
Larry Atlow                          Internet:[log in to unmask]
Microcomputer Analyst                Phonenet: (601) 264-9639

             to be posted to: [log in to unmask]