From:
Carroll Grigsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 11:37:40 -0400
On Monday 22 April 2002 06:20 am, Brendon Schafer wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I think this falls within the scope of the list.
>
> I have a small Windows network at home, with different flavours of Windows
> running (95, 98 and NT4 Workstation).
>
> My NT4 box is acting as a file server and a login server. (I obtain the
> permissions for the shares from this machine). My 95 machine is used
> primarily by my wife for occasional work that she does and by me
> occasionally as a test machine. My 98 machine has multiple operating
> systems on it and is used by me as a primary development machine. Among the
> operating systems I have on this machine, I have Linux. (Actually 3
> flavours - FreeBSD, Mandrake, and Suse at the moment). I've also had Red
> Hat at one stage.
>
> What I am wanting to do is access the shared folders on the NT box and use
> the logins from this box for authentication. Obviously this means that
> Linux must be the client. Which is all fine. As far as I can tell, the
> network is set up correctly (I am able to Ping the other machines on the
> network both from Linux and I can ping the Linux machine) but I can't get
> to either the shares on the NT box, and I certainly haven't figured out how
> to use NT's users as logins for the Linux box. I have quite a few dists
> available and I usually use the KDE environment, but that doesn't matter
> much either.
>
> There is no option for me to change the file server to the Linux box (Not
> at the moment at any rate). At this stage I'm just doing this so that I can
> learn a little more about Linux.
>
> Anybody have any suggestions for me. Perhaps a web site I crawl over to.
> Most of the sites that I've been to (mostly Red Hat, Mandrake, Suse,
> Linux.org etc sites) don't really have any good clear instructions that I
> can understand. Suse's online help is the best I've seen so far, but still
> doesn't do what I'm looking for. Mostly they want to set Linux up as the
> server and Windows as the client. I also usually install all the packages
> available on the Linux CD's.
>
> Thanks
>
> Brendon

Brendon:
Just in case you didn't find the MandrakeUser site, try this link:
http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/connect/index.html#ss
While I don't have any experience with Samba, it is a frequent topic on the
mandrake-newbie mail list, and I've noticed that most of the threads cite
these articles at one point or another. The Mandrake User site is part of the
official Mandrake organization, and is updated frequently. FWIW, I've found
it to be the best single source when man whatever doesn't answer my question.
HTH,
Carroll Grigsby

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml