Date:
Wed, 14 May 2003 03:19:46 +0100
Hi, I'm probably not the best person in the world to ask about modems, but I
do have a 56k modem (can't remember which make or model) installed in my
system, which I no longer use to access the internet, but use for faxing.
I have used an external usb modem now (supplied by NTL, combined with the
broadband package) for well over a year, and I haven't had too many problems
with it.
It can become a bit slow at times, but I'm not sure whether that just
depends on the time of day or not, and whether or not alot of others are
accessing the net at the same time.
The usb type suits me for the simple fact that every time I have built a
system so far, I have been able to install my software onto it, and access
the net without installing an internal modem. This works for me, as that way
I can use the new system for a while to see how good (or bad) it's
performing.I think most m/b's have 2 usb ports as standard if I'm not
mistaken. This is the main reason I prefer it.
I do know of others, however, who would never use a usb modem.
I think it may just be a matter of preference, this one is good enough for
what I need it for, and doesn't cost the earth. Also, because it belongs to
my internet provider, they have to replace it if it becomes faulty.(I like
that bit!)

Michele Sayer