From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Apr 2004 15:24:54 -0500
I'm surprised that your motherboard manual doesn't give more information
for use of these kind of Athlon 64 heat sink retention brackets.  Out of
curiosity, which brand and model motherboard are you going to install you
Athlon 64 to?

I haven't had the opportunity to build up an Athlon 64 system, yet.
However, the sort of retention bracket and back plate that you are working
with appears to the standard specified by AMD for this processor.

Take a look at the information available in this AMD technical paper,
starting about page 20, which I have created a shortened url to:
  http://tinyurl.com/ywvo9

The reason AMD has gone to this design is that it will better support the
heavier heatsinks that modern processors require with less chance of them
causing damage to the processor or the socket (and secondarily to the rest
of your system, if one of these were to break loose, especially when
transporting the case).

John