From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 18:50:07 -0800
  Bear in mind that, with a hub, the 10 Mbps of your network is shared by
all of the machines on it.  Depending on how much traffic there actually is,
you may begin to find that the network is more and more often "busy".

  However, if that were the main problem here, it would be distributed
randomly amongst your machines from moment to moment.  A consistent problem
with a single machine points to an issue specific to that machine.

  About 80% of the time that I've encountered unacceptably poor network
performance for a siongle machine, it has turned out to be due to a damaged
or defective cable.  Try replacing the cable to that PC and see if that
helps.

  Can you identify the make and model of the hub?  There are some less
common issues we can investigate if swapping the cable doesn't fix it.

David Gillett

On 24 Mar 2004 at 9:29, Frederick Navarro wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a problem with our network, we have 10 machines running on WinXP
> Home connected to a 10 Mbps Hub.  9 machines are working fine, i.e
> accessing their shared folders, etc.  But we have one machine wherein it
> can connect to the network, access the shared folders of the other
> machines, but the speed is too slow even to the point that it will prompt
> "computer name no longer available".  My suspicion here is either with the
> cable (i.e. length, crimping) or it is with the hub speed.  Is there any
> way that I could determine the actual network speed of that machine via
> software?  The network icon in the system tray states it is connected as 10
> Mpbs, but I doubt if it is really running in 10 Mbps.  Hope I could hear
> from you soon. Thanks.
>
> Frederick
>

> "Literature is strewn with the wreckage of men who have minded beyond
> reason the opinions of others."
>
>                          PCBUILD's List Owners:

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com