From:
John Kemp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 2004 11:37:22 -0500
Michael,

I am going to agree with Russ on this. The value of cable decreases as the
number of users (your neighbors) on the same trunk increase. The limitations
on DSL then is primarily the distance from the central office (although
providers have placed devices along the route to increase the service area
beyond the initial 18,000 ft limitation). Cable that has been in place for
many years does have the problem of deterioration, which degrades the signal
strength for reduced bandwidth.

I don't understand the 2 IP addresses (sounds like a reason to charge more).
I have a router, and have had several users (college study group) connect
through the wireless portion. The router should act as a DHCP server. It
will connect users with private IP addresses (in the 192.168.x.x range -
normally). In other words, the router gets the IP address provided by the
ISP and handles the networking connections of PCs that are behind it. The
router will perform a Network Address Translation (NAT) for communication
going out of it to the Internet. This is transparent to the user - just
configure PC network settings for DHCP.

If a provider charged me for more than one connection with my single IP
address, or if the signal degrades to unacceptable levels (do to the sharing
of the bandwidth with others on the same trunk), I would be tempted to
switch to DSL because the bandwidth (although benchmarked lower than cable)
is a dedicated bandwidth. Frankly, depending on the situation - you could
feasibly achieve a higher throughput with DSL. I will say that I am in a
transition home - meaning, I am renting at the moment - with intentions of
making a (hopefully) final move to settle down in the next year or so. I
have not had to think in terms of a more permanent solution as of yet. If
you are considering a long term commitment - I would recommend that you look
at the total cost of ownership as part of your consideration on which to
choose as well your personal need for speed. For example, I still recommend
dial-up for people that are just getting started and only wish to take
advantage of e-mail.

You will probably get many differring opinions on which is better; however,
I wonder what the situation will be in the future (10 years - perhaps).
Since, newer homes may be completely networked (lights, alarms, locks,
appliances, etc.) - I wonder what type of ISP will handle the telephone,
cable, and Internet services then. If you could predict that - it might be a
good guide in deciding whether choose DSL or cable today.

HTH...John