From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Apr 2002 13:36:09 -0700
Yes you can use NT4 Workstation as a server, I believe it will handle up to
15 clients.... I don't really remember ?  But 5 to 10 no problem.

Server and Workstation are fundamentally the same, but you would have
better tools with Server. If your friend is going to upgrade anyway then
you might consider going to Windows 2000 Pro or Server. It has USB support
for one, and in general has much better driver support, compatibility,
security,  and an upgrade path. The downside is size. I have
installed  Workstation SP6a in as little as 300 megs, on a 486 running a
586133 CPU with 64 megs of ram. I used this as a NAT and private FTP server
for a small LAN.

Windows 2000 needs at least a one and half GB fully patched and while it
can run on a P166 with 64 megs of RAM , the more horsepower and RAM you
throw at it, the better it likes it.
But if you have the hardware available, administration will be a lot easier
for you with a Windows 2000 server.

Rode
The NOSPIN Group