From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 May 1998 17:27:17 -0800
On 28 May 98 at 17:54, Daniel Leung wrote:

> 1. Does the Intel BX chipset MoBo support all the current Intel
> CPUs, ie, PII233 to PII400  and  cacheless Celeron266?

  The chipset is certainly capable of it.  There are motherboard
features you may also need, such as 100 MHz bus, and PC100-compatible
SDRAM is a good idea.

> 2. Will it support all near future Intel CPU's, ie PII450 or PII500, Celeron
> 300, 400, 500 cache or cacheless?

  I believe the "Xeon" CPUs will require "Slot 2" motherboards; I'm
not sure if BX can be used for those or not.

> 3. Is there any clone BX chipset or this is just the Intel thing?

  Intel has licensed, to at least one and maybe two of the Asian
chipset makers, the necessary information to build and sell chipsets
supporting Slot 1.  These will presumably offer their own feature
sets, and not simply be clones of the 440FX/440LX/440BX series.
Don't know how long until we see such a board.

  [National/Cyrix is rumoured to be working on a Slot 1 CPU.  AMD is
supposed to be working on a Slot A CPU -- physically the same, but
chipset must recognize it and switch to alternate logical pin
assignments.
  We might reasonably expect to see a completely non-Intel "PII"
system by year-end, maybe sooner.]

David G