From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 23:04:15 -0400
>   Does anyone have any experience with a USB Ethernet adapter.  I saw one
> at my local Microcenter that from what I saw on the box supported
> a 100mbps
> connection.  I would love to hear from anyone who has tried this or a
> similiar product.

        I haven't tried one myself, but I am sure it would work fine. There is only
one problem with the concept, and that is bandwidth. Normal ethernet runs at
10mbps, USB runs at max 12mbps, and that is shared by every device connected
to the same host port. If performance is of any concern than I would not
recommend getting it, a PCI card will make you much more happy, and every
other device on the same chain will be happier too. If instead you are stuck
with USB, well it will work, you just won't get great performance. This is
all igrnoring that the adapter supports 100mbps, something you will never
even get close to with USB (although I think firewire could). Just thought
you'd like to know. TTYL

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html