From:
Jeff Lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 2004 09:49:25 -0700
Sharon,

I wuld agree with Bob. If you are just getting an initial *heat* odor that
would be normal in many cases for a new monitor, however this should begin
to diapate over a period of two or three days and be gone after that. Then
you will just feel normal heat coming from the monitor as your other
equipment. If it is the same now as the day you turned it on I would, also,
recommend you return it.

God luck,

Jeff

> Hi Sharon,
> In older "cathode ray tube" monitors, as in older televisions and radars,
> there are very high voltages used to accelerate and aim the electrons at
> the face of the tube. That is what creates the picture. I used to build
> Heathkit TV's many years ago and the internal voltages were supposed to be
> 25,000 volts, although I never measured them. I would make a guess that
> what you smell is something "cooking" in the high voltage section and it
> will only get worse. If it were mine, I would return it as soon as
possible.
> Bob Lendrim
>
> >PCBUILD Digest - 11 Apr 2004 to 12 Apr 2004 (#2004-104)My old Gateway
> >monitor finally died and I purchased a KDS 17" monitor (non-LCD) from
> >Office Depot.  The monitor is performing well except for a rare,
> >nanosecond-type white flash.  My main concern is that it emits an
> >electrical-type smell that ebbs and flows.  It reminds me of "fried"
> >electrical wires.
> >I have 14 days to return this product for a full refund.  Can this smell
> >be considered normal for a new monitor or am I correct in being
> >concerned?   Thanks in advance for any help.   Sharon
> >---
> >avast! Antivirus: Inbound message clean.
> >Virus Database (VPS): 0404-6, 04/09/2004
> >Tested on: 4/13/2004 3:31:37 PM
> >avast! - copyright (c) 2000-2004 ALWIL Software.
>

> ---
> Virus Database (VPS): 0404-6, 04/09/2004
> Tested on: 4/13/2004 6:44:23 PM

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml