From:
"Twin*.*Star" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jul 1999 18:19:28 -0400
Been through this many times in the past, so I thought I would pass my
experience on WRT Kyle's comment.

Not really disagreeing with Kyle but more clarity.  IMO experience, a high
quality 250 W power supply can handle more draw that a cheap 300 W unit. I
know it~should~not~since it is rated higher but reality is as cheap units
begin reaching there limit, which can sometimes be very small compared to
their rating, the outputs begin to distort considerably and will cause
crashes. A good PC Power and Cooling and/or Enlight power supply will cost
many times more than a cheap case~and~power supply. And for good reason.
Conditioned on spec power throughout the whole rated power band. Now
granted a $21 - 300 w power supply and case~may~put out more clean power
than a $19 - 250W power supply case. But neither would compete close to a
$100 - 235 w PC Power and Cooling power supply with high volume, low noise
ball bearing cooling fan.

Similar to buying cheap speakers and/or a amplifier that says it produces
sound from 50 to 25K Hz vs. a high quality system that specs at 60 to 18 K
(the top of most listeners ear ability anyway) +/-2 dB. Crank up the volume
half way on the cheap system and the distortion would be so bad you would
rather listen to finger nails screeching on a black board 8-0 Whereas the
high quality system will go to 90% or even close to 100% volume with clear
but loud sound.

Daniel Wysocki
Twin*.*Star Computers
770-498-2582 / 800-816-0663
Fast - Reliable - Wallet Friendly

From:   Kyle Elmblade[SMTP:[log in to unmask]]

IMHO, I would use nothing LESS than a 250W power supply.  300W if you can.
May not make a big difference now, but down the road you will be sorry if
you stick with a 235W power supply.  Degradation over time will cause
problems.

Kyle

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html