From:
Thomas Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 2006 21:06:54 -0700
Trey

I've done some research on your situation and, other than getting a
headache, I found that you are not alone. I started on the premise that
XP, assuming that is what you are using, may have a 3GB limitation on
the amount of physical RAM that it will use. However, as best as I can
tell, it has a 4GB limit for the 32 system. If you use a 64 system the
limitation is much higher. There is some thought that the 4GB limitation
includes the page file and the size of the page file limits the amount
of physical memory XP can use. This seems to be disproved by some people
who have disabled the page file without any affect on the amount of
physical RAM used by XP. There are a number of mentions of system files
(space) being reserved in the 3 to 4GB range by XP, the BIOS, chip
set(s), video memory, etc. or some combination thereof depending upon
what "expert" is discussing the situation. In any eventuality, a number
of persons share your problem with reports of XP only using somewhere
between 3 and about 3.6GB of physical RAM. Just seems weird to me that
this "reservation system" only kicks in when the physical RAM is more
than 3GB.

I did not see any real answer to this situation other than going to a 64
system.

Tom Mayer

Trey Holm wrote:
> I am not sure.  It came with four RAM slots, all filled with 512's.
> After about a year I replaced two of the sticks with 1G sticks.  Windows
> picked these up without a problem. Six months later, the present day, I
> replaced the second set.  However, this time the new sticks were not
> picked up.  The configuration of the sticks before this last upgrade
> was:  512-1G-512-1G.  Now, the BIOS shows: 1G-1G-1G-1G, but Windows says
> 3024 KB.
>
> Does this help you help me?

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>