From:
Hugh Vandervoort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 2004 08:45:45 -0500
Yes, it will work. I usually work with Maxtor drives, but I'm sure the WD
software will overcome the size limit-pay careful attention to the install
procedure.
Most HD installation software comes with a program that will allow you to
copy the existing drive to the new drive such that it will boot and retain
all your data. I usually install the new drive (Temporarily) as a slave for
this procedure. In practice this means hook up the ribbon cable, plug in the
power and find someplace to lay the drive while the copy takes palce. With a
one Gig drive this should take only seconds.
Unplug the new drive, switch the jumper to Master, remove the old drive, put
the new drive in its place and you're good to go.
Free PC Tech has a guide at:
http://freepctech.com/pc/001/installing_ide_devices.shtml
It's possible there's a BIOS upgrade for your Computer to eliminate the need
for the overlay software. Tell us the make and model or motherboard specs
and we could find out.
*******************************

Will this actually work?
Will Data Lifeguard Tools 11 (Western Digital Download) actually get me
around the 8.4 GB barrier of this BIOS system, and allow acces to full
drive?
Should I slave the 80 GB drive to the old one?  Or will this slow down/drag
on the new big drive?
What is the safest way to copy contents of one disk to another (cruddy
second hand rebuilt system does not have Backup program/function/thingy
installed)?

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml