From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Mar 1998 11:42:23 -0500
At 12:24 AM 3/10/1998 Nicolas Cure wrote:

>I was able to get a flash upgrade from PC Partners (my MB manufactorer).
>The .zip file came with four files, the flasher program .exe, the readme
>
>.doc, and two .bin files. The readme file says
>031396U.BIN     For TritonFX Bios with UMC I/O and Non-VTech Date Code
>031396S.BIN     For TritonFX Bios with SMC I/O and Non-VTech Date Code.
>
>How do I know which file to use on my computer? If anyone has any idea
>please let me know.

Look at the I/O support chips on the motherboard. The chip maker should be
either UMC or SMC (ignore the main chipset which would be Intel Triton FX).
You probably have UMC chips. If you have any questions, check with the
board maker.

Take precautions. Use a UPS to avoid the vulnerability to power loss during
BIOS flashing. Normally, you cold boot to the BIOS upgrade floppy while
pressing a certain KEY on the keyboard to enable the upgrade process.

Also check your motherboard manual. Some boards have the added
protection of a write protect jumper (Keeps viruses from writing to your
BIOS), and if you have this, you'll have to set it to enable the flash
upgrade.

If you have any reservations, do NOT attempt to flash your BIOS. If you
fail, your motherboard will not work, and you cannot try it again. Then,
you'll either have to get a replacement BIOS chip, or take out the bad
chip and burn in the BIOS code with an EEPROM programmer.

It really is a simple process but there are consequences to improperly
executing the procedure. Follow the flash BIOS directions and all should
go well.

Regards,

John Chin