From:
Paul Hachmeyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 2008 15:07:38 -0400
Update Compaq SR1410NX software restore from recovery partition fails
and video issue  --
 clip..

>------------------------------
>While this may not be the most desirable of solutions, the HP site does
>offer a link to a replacement motherboard. You will need to return the
>defective part. The link:
>http://tiny.cc/wJwGB is to the HP parts ordering site. Another idea; have
>you tried calling HP support and have a tech walk you through the BIOS
>settings? I have used tech support for their printers and was satisfied with
>the level of support provided. I don't have direct experience with other
>products. HTH.
>
>Chris Ryan

My experience with HP has been fine, while the warranty is in effect.
After that, you don't get much unless you pay them for assistance - I
think it's $39. for a specific pc for about 2 weeks of
attention/help..Nothing in the bios seemed to help with the restore
issue, and not being able to view it made it hard to try anything other
than setting it to defaults via jumper.  Was considering replacing the
mb, also available on ebay and elsewhere.  But I was also concerned
about HP/Compaq tattoo issue where a 'serial number' of sorts is
recorded on the mb and part of the delivered software which prevents you
from installing software with different 'serial numbered' components.
.
I did resolve my problems -
Issue one was lost video - I had switched the bios from pci to onboard,
mb video was dead.  Cure was to reset the BIOS jumper, defaults the BIOS
video to pci video.
 Issue two was to complete a recovery partition restore where the win xp
home software would enter setup and continue, instead of freezing.  Once
the video was working again, I went through a destructive restore
again.  Upon completion, options are reboot or shut down.  I shut down.
I then removed my pci video card (as well as the nic), and was working
with wired keyboard and wired mouse(standard crt monitor was
disconnected/video card removed).   Rebooted pc, waited about 5 minutes
and powered down via front panel power switch, all without any video.
Reinstalled video card, started pc.  This time, the windows setup had
worked with no issues (software trying to match delivered system?).  Was
able to go into windows startup, enter name, etc. , reboot system.
Oddly, on reboot, I lost video again.  Swapped video card into another
slot, got video back.  On next reboot, lost it again.  Swapped in a
different video card, slot 1, first boot ok, next boot, lost it.  Slot
2, same thing.  Back to slot1, booted ok, and for the next several boots
ok.  So far, its been ok for 2 days after a couple dozen boots.
Questionable slot and/or mb, I guess.
Ultimate goal was to eliminate system freezing by doing full restore to
original delivered system.  That worked, plus I got another 2 months of
norton internet security free (original trial package delivered with pc).
Seems the original system configuration has a lot to do with the success
or failure with HP/Compaqs restore partition software.  Additional pci
cards, usb/wireless keyboards/mice, or different/additional hard drives
are the likely culprits.
.
Paul Hachmeyer

                     visit our download web page at: