From:
Doug Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 12:42:50 -0400
If installed as Carl suggests you will have to re-jumper the hard drives
each time you want to change operating systems.  You will have to make the
hard drive with the operating system you want to boot to as the Master on
the First Controller.

To install two operating systems on one PC you need another piece of
software called a boot manager. This software will be used to install the
second operating system and to allow you to chose which operating system
you want on each boot.  One commercial one is Boot Magic from PowerQuest
(Of Partition Magic fame).  I think that there are some free/share-ware
programs that will also do this.  I seem to remember a program called
SwitchIt that may be a shareware that can be downloaded from one of the
shareware sites.  Someone else can probably also suggest others.

Doug

At 10/24/00 07:22 PM, Carl Barnhart wrote:

>The simple solution is obviously to connect your Maxtor as the Master and
>take out the other hard drive completely until you have installed the OS on
>the Maxtor. This way you eliminate the possibility of installing an OS to any
>drive but the Maxtor. Then once you have the OS installed on the Maxtor,
>reconnect the other Hard drive as the master, and the Maxtor as the slave.

>[log in to unmask] writes:

 > Hello All,
 > I have a Dell system, P3, 128Ram, 27G IBM ATA Ultra 66 HD( 1 partition).
 > I recently purchased an additional HD 20G Maxtor ATA Ultra100 and installed
 > it as a slave to the IBM.  I intended to install Windows 98 on one and
 > Windows Me
 > on the other.  I used MaxBlast Plus to install (one) partition and format
 > the Maxtor HD.  Comos indicated that everything is installed correctly.  My
 > problem,
 > I am unable to install an os on the Maxtor.  Every time I try to install an
 > os
 > it installs to the primary drive.  I reformatted the Maxtor drive with
 > windows
 > an used the D: /s command but it still installed to the primary drive.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html