From:
"Sanborn, John" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 20:19:09 -0700
sounds like her modem is drawing too much of the signal from the phone line,
just like picking up a second phone can reduce the quality on the first
phone.  A cheap, but impractical work-around would be to unplug her modem
before dialing.

There are line 'enhancers(?)' that might be able boost the signal quality,
but I'd look at the modems first.  Low quality modems seem to have this
problem more (just like a cheap phone does).