From:
Hugh Vandervoort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 2005 02:41:13 -0500
I've done this twice with no problem at all. I was very favorably impressed
with the ease of the procedure. The most recent change involved a complete
replacement of a retired computer, and activation went without a hitch.
I will (in the not too distant future) be replacing a motherboard, processor
and RAM in a Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2 computer. The change will be from
a Pentium III 1GB to a Pentium 4 3+ GB processor, a higher end ABIT
motherboard, and 1GB of DDR400 (DDR2) RAM from 256 MB of SDRAM (PC2700). I
know this will necessitate running setup again, as there will be major
changes to the HAL and so forth. My questions are as follows: Will setup run
properly from my original OEM installation disk, now that SP2 is installed?
When it comes to the point in the setup routine where activation occurs,
will there be a problem (with MS) due to the new hardware?