From:
Carroll Grigsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 20:58:50 -0400
Paul:
Yes, those continuous beeps are a signal that the CPU is exceeding the
safe temperature limit. Assuming that this is a recent problem, your
system is not new, and you haven't made any hardware changes to it
recently, then you should verify that your fans are working correctly.
Do that be starting and stopping the computer several times. (Based on a
similar experience with my son's PC, the CPU fan would not start perhaps
two or three times out of five start/stop cycles.) While you have the
cover removed, be sure clean up any dust bunnies that you find inside
the case. Also, take a look at how the drive cables are arranged -- it's
possible that they may be blocking the flow of air. On the other hand,
if you've just added a new device such as super duper graphics card or a
7200 rpm HD, or you've decided to try overclocking, then it is likely
that the increased heat load is too great for the present fans. In that
case, you will have to look at some way to improve the cooling.
Regards,
Carroll Grigsby

Paul Ryan wrote:

> Hello I have a question regarding the code (beep tone) on a Award BIOS,
> Lately I have the problem that during the operation of my computer that it starts beeping. a repeated single beep that doesn't quit, until I hit the reset. The computer has done this in the past but it is happening quite often lately.  I suspect that it has something to do with cooling but I'm not sure. Any one know exactly what the beeps mean?
> Thank You
> Paul Ryan
> Germany

                     visit our download web page at: