From:
Thomas Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Dec 2005 12:14:02 -0800
My first suspects would be the BIOS/CMOS. Depending on how old your computer
is, the CMOS battery could need to be replaced. When you start the computer,
go into "setup" (method differs between BIOS suppliers and should be in your
manual - it could be pressing the DEL key as the computer starts) and set
the BIOS/CMOS to the default settings. Then let the computer start. If
everything is OK, you likely need a new battery. You can later reset the
settings as you desire. If the same problem remains, it likely means that
somehow the computer is not communicating with your drive(s). This means
getting inside the case (remember grounding safeguards) and checking several
things:

Excessive dust around fans and CPU heatsink and case filter, Heat does weird
things to a computer.
Data and power cables to drives secure. Reseat connections to be sure. Also,
check RAM and CPU seating while you are there.
With case open, start computer and check on fan(s) operation. Also, drives
spinning?

If problem persists, it could be a power supply issue (reduction in output).
Bad data cable. Or, worst still, a motherboard issue.

You may need to give more particulars on your computer hardware, including
monitor, and operating system. Also a detailed explanation of what leads up
to the error message when you start the computer, such as beeps or other
data on the screen. Recent changes to your system or software?

I hope this helps.

Tom Mayer