From:
Carl Barnhart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 18:00:44 EDT
Doug, are you saying that if I have 2 hard drives hooked up to my computer;
One as the master, one as the slave, I can't go into my bios and select the
order of the drives I want it to boot from(ie, i can only boot from the drive
thats set up as the master)? For example in my bios I can select the order of
devices i want to try and boot from.. my order right now is floppy, HDD0,
cdrom.. but i also have choices for HDD1 and HDD2.. so couldn't I just go
into the bios, change it from HDD0, to HDD1, and let it boot from the slave
drive?

I've never had more than one hard drive in my system before so I don't really
know what those bios options do, and what happens in this scenario. So if you
have any more knowledge about the subject i'd be interested in knowing.

Carl Barnhart

In a message dated 10/26/00 2:20:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> If installed as Carl suggests you will have to re-jumper the hard drives
> each time you want to change operating systems.  You will have to make the
> hard drive with the operating system you want to boot to as the Master on
> the First Controller.
>
> To install two operating systems on one PC you need another piece of
> software called a boot manager. This software will be used to install the
> second operating system and to allow you to chose which operating system
> you want on each boot.  One commercial one is Boot Magic from PowerQuest
> (Of Partition Magic fame).  I think that there are some free/share-ware
> programs that will also do this.  I seem to remember a program called
> SwitchIt that may be a shareware that can be downloaded from one of the
> shareware sites.  Someone else can probably also suggest others.
>
> Doug

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html