From:
"Richard F. Bolha" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 08:21:39 -0400
Can I share a cable modem over a fast Ethernet Switch?
I am considering getting a cable broadband for a small network.
What would I need? Could I install the cable modem in one workstation
 or the Novell 6.1 server? Then share the connection thru the switch?
 Or, do I need to add a router? ETC

Thanks
Richard Bolha

On 27 Jun 2002, at 11:28, Dave Jones wrote:

> Nothing.. You can get a router/hub and share all you want but you'll be
> sharing the one IP address, I would think they would charge for separate IPs
> for each computer but sharing shouldn't be a problem.

snip

> > A friend of mine was told by Adelphia that if he wanted to share his cable
> > internet access with other computers in his home, it would cost an extra
> > $24.95 per month per computer. I was under the impression that when you
> have
> > a network with one computer as the gateway connected to the internet, the
> > client computers have their own internal IP addresses that can't be seen
> by
> > the outside world. Only the gateway computer has an external IP address.
> > What's to stop him from setting up his own network and sharing the
> > connection? How would anyone know? I've heard of people buying secondary
> > static IP addresses for additional computers and this makes no sense to me
> > either. Doesn't just the gateway have to have the external address?

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com