From:
Rick Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 01:34:43 -0400
You have an LS-120 drive. It is a "combination" 1.44m floppy drive
and a 120MEG "Super Disk internal IDE floppy drive".
It is supposed to have the "power load and eject" of the disks, so
you "seem" to have at the very least a bad power connection.
Check the small plug on the back.
(Check your other cables inside computer while you are "in there"...)
If the drive is "dead", (as in broken), it is not cost effective to repair it.
It uses a dual head "Laser Servo technology system" and is very hard to repair.
A new one "in a box" should be available as low as $75, do it yourself.
It is an IDE hard drive cable device, and it is necessary to set it up a
little differently in the BIOS than a "regular" floppy drive.
Yours seems to have been set up as a bootable device in a recent
BIOS, so you have an easier time of it.
I have those exact drives from that company. More info,
WEB manual http://www.dr-tech.com/newsite/manuals/drls120_man.html
WEB faq: http://www.dr-tech.com/newsite/support/drls120_faq.html
Note: LS-120 drives work differently in Win95A and below.

If you DO NOT have any of the $7 to $10 special LS-120 floppy disks,
and have never used it as that type of drive, instead of $75-125,
you could get a TEAC "die-cast" floppy drive from buy.com for
around $12.50 plus shipping... (Look for the IBM PS-2 type,
Ivory or black, if it is a full sized machine.)
If you "go this route" you will HAVE to turn on your floppy port
in the BIOS, as it is more than likely turned off if the LS-120
was your only floppy.         Rick Glazier