From:
Roxanne Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 09:57:41 -0700
Tom --

Could you expand a bit about your experiences with the Thorough Scandisk and
non-disk related problems? I'm especially interested in exactly what you
mean by "non-disk related" problems causing bad sectors to be marked on a
hard drive.

I have one client who is runs quite a few applications and who has suffered
from more than his fair share of reported bad sectors on several drives.
When he reformatted these drives, the bad sectors disappeared. However, in a
couple of cases, they reappeared later, usually after a few months of use.
To add to my confusion, not all of the hard drives he uses in this computer
end up developing bad sectors. There seems to be no pattern as to which of
the drives will develop these "temporary" bad sectors, and which drive
won't.

FYI - he has three Quantum 6.4GB hard drives and a CD-ROM running off an
Asus LX chipset PII motherboard.

Roxanne