Date:
Sat, 21 Oct 2006 07:07:13 EDT
Harold Thomas wrote:
> Hi, I don't know if I did something, or if one  of the MS updates is
> messing with me; but when I click a video link to  bring up the
> windows media viewer, it will pop-up for approx 1 to 2 secs  and then
> disappear.  I have tried everything I know including  disabling pop-up
> blockers, all anti-spyware, and even my  ZoneAlarm.  Nothing helps.  I
> even tried IE7, but it does the  same thing.  I can't even watch the
> video about the changes in IE7.  If the link brings up the full
> version of Windows Media Player it works  fine.  But if the window
> version is called, that's when I have the  problem.  Can anyone help
> me?

Other then uninstalling /  reinstalling every piece of multi-media
related software you can find on the  system.  Including uninstalling and
re-installing any codecs (if you  have any).  It sounds like something
could have mucked around in your  registry and now IE is confused about
what application is supposed to handle  video for you.

The trick is to figure out what piece of software needs to  be
uninstalled /  reinstalled.

I dont know if this will mean anything or not, but you can look  into it and
see.  I have Win Xp, so don't know if they are all the same in  this or not,
but try going to Control Panel, double click on Add and Remove  Programs, then
another screen will come up... On the LEFT over there... it  will have  Add
/Remove Windows Components, click on that.... then another  window will come
up.. which says Windows Components.  Scroll down to the  bottom and uninstall the
one that says Windows Media Player.  Then shut  down... get back on and get
your Windows Installation CD out (probably your  purple one) and when that
comes on the screen it will give you several  choices... click on the one that
says... Install Windows Optional  Components.

I had to do this one time in order to get my games back... I tried  copying
them from every where, but what you copy is only a short cut... you must  have
that CD in order to reinstall those games.. so maybe something went wrong
with your Media Player...  Now... dont know if this will work or not...  Just a
thought.  Harriet...

                 our special coffee mugs and mouse pads