From:
Peter Shkabara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 07:31:45 -0700
I have the same type of problem on some computers in the lab. The older
BIOS or chipsets (I don't know which is causing the problem) on the
motherboard are not recognizing the newer types of RAM SIMMs. On my
systems, the 32MB SIMMs are being identified as only 16MB. I tried the
SIMMs on my wife's computers (an older Pentium) and installing 4 of the
SIMMs resulted in only 32MB of total RAM! So the conclusion is: get the
8 IC type of SIMM; get a BIOS update (may or may not help); give up and
get a new computer ;)

For my lab, I have reconciled myself to settle for a total of 64MB by
using 4 32MB SIMMs. Since they were only about $9 each, this was not too
bad a deal. The computers are old and will be replaced at some point.
For now we just take them apart to learn.

Peter
Peter Shkabara - Computer Science Instructor
Columbia College - 11600 Columbia College Drive - Sonora, CA 95370
(209) 588-5156 - [log in to unmask] - http://gocolumbia.org/pesh