From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 2003 13:52:26 -0700
1.  The wording is not very obvious, but when you "disable the Quick Power
ON Self Test", that instructs the BIOS to perform the full/slow power-on
self-test.
  The quick power-on self-test will run the memory counter from 0 to the
amount of memory present, ONCE, and will not even really test the memory as
it goes.  The full/slow test runs the counter from 0 to total about three
times, once for each of the different kinds of tests it performs.
  A common recommendation is to enable the quick test, and allow software
that is part of the OS to test the memory instead.  For Windows 95/98/ME,
HIMEM.SYS is the usual tool for this, launched from CONFIG.SYS.

2.  If you really have 128MB of working memory installed, the counters
should go up to 131036K.  If they're stopping at 76MB, but not reporting a
memory error, then it sounds like not all of your installed memory is being
recognized by the motherboard.  This might be an additional problem.

David Gillett

On 12 Oct 2003 at 19:38, Mandar Naik wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have disabled the Quick Power ON Self Test. The memory test is repeated
> after a certain level is reached, say 76 MB ( I've 128 MB) and the test is
> completed after a couple more repetitions,why is it so?What is the solution?
>
> Regards,
> Mandar Naik
>
>          PCBUILD maintains hundreds of useful files for download

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml