From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 May 1999 11:56:52 -0700
On 16 May 99, at 14:59, Harvir Grewal wrote:

> Could you please shed some light on the process of overclocking the CPU.
> If you could explain how it's done along with step by step instructions,
> I'll be greatly thankful to you.

  Your motherboard probably provides at least two parameters that can be
adjusted:  FSB (bus) speed and CPU multiplier.  It may also allow the voltage
to the CPU to be adjusted.
  Overclocking is the practice of trying various combinations of these,
looking for some combination that yields higher performance than the
combination specified by the manufacturer.  In this process, one is likely to
find some combinations where the CPU does not function, and one may find some
where memory or peripherals cannot keep up.

  Although it is *unlikely* that this will permananetly damage anything,
there is anecdotal evidence that it may shorten the lifespan of some
components, and it will generally void any warranty.  As such, I believe list
policy is not to recommend or endorse the practice.
  My personal opinion?  If you do not feel comfortable tinkering without step
by step instructions, I recommend against overclocking your machine.

David G

                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html