From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 2000 22:37:06 -0400
At 07:28 AM 07/07/2000 Mike Bridges wrote:

>I am trying to format a 4.3G WD hard drive in a AMD 266 with 64 MB
>of ram.It is running a version of WIN95a.I am formatting from a floppy
>and everything goes fine until it tells me I will lose all information
>on the drive.I type "y" and hit enter and then I am getting a
>insuffecient memory message and it stops at 12%.. . . .

Mike:

Perhaps you are attempting to format a hard drive containing a non-FAT16
partition. WIN95a doesn't support FAT32 and this may be causing your problem.

If you do not wish to retain any data on this (presumably used) hard drive,
you should use the appropriate WDC utility to ZERO out all sectors of the
drive and perform a disk analysis. This will remove all artifacts,
including every master boot record and FAT table. Any bad sectors will be
removed from use and replaced.

You can find the WDC disk utilities at:

        http://www.wdc.com/service/ftp/drives.html

As always, check your drive select jumpers (WDC provides solo, master and
slave settings), check your data cabling and power connections, and check
CMOS settings.

HTH.

John Chin

                   messages? Visit our staff web site: