From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 09:22:29 -0500
At 04:22 PM 3/25/1997 Richard Dennis Smith wrote:

>I have a Western Digital Caviar AC31200 hard drive with which I am very
>satisfied, but want to know if and how large is the on-board cache?
>The test results with Wintune test program seem to indicate a cache.
>I have been unable to find this info at Western Digital's website.
>Please don't just send me to another website to look for non-existent
>information.

Richard:

On most Western Digital Caviar hard drives, you can tell
the cache size from the Model Number.

The model number is located on the hard drive. There will
be a hyphen, then some more numbers. The LAST letter
is the code for the cache size:

Letter  Cache Size
   M          32K
   F          64K
   H        128K

I believe the newer Caviar hard drives have 256K cache.

You can also get the information from software that
queries the drive but, apparently, you have nonesuch.

Regards,

John Chin