From:
David Grossman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Sep 2005 21:39:25 +0200
Relax, Leigh, everything is OK, and it's not an April Fool's joke.

Not every setup allows screen rotation. Yours does.

Hold down on Alt-Control while clicking on the Up, Down, Left, and Right
arrow keys. Don't use the arrow keys on the numeric keypad. Use the keys
that are below Print Screen, Scroll Lock, or Pause/Break.

Your problem will disappear. You can also make it re-appear, and on some
setups, you can also make the screen turn upside-down.

David Grossman

> Hi
>
> I have never heard of this so I thought I'd throw it out there to see if
any
> of you have!
>
> I got a help call from some one whose aunt has had a stroke and needs her
> computer for rehabilitation, she plays jigsaw puzzles on it as a form of
> mental stimulation. The other day the display rotated through 90 degrees,
> That is; the desktop and everything, to read it properly you need to put
the
> monitor on its side.
>
> Events that preceded the problem and may have led to this happening are:
>
>          1/ she placed something on the keyboard and leaned on it,
possibly
> pressing multiple keys at once... well I know I have done similar things
> over the years but never to this effect.
>          2/ A new jigsaw programme with lots of puzzles was loaded on some
> days before, I cant imaging how this would corrupt the video output
though.

> My thinking on this is that it is probably either a hardware problem or a
> hardware setting.  Could there be a hotkey combination for the display
> adapter that might have caused this? If so, why would anyone want to
rotate
> their video output through 90 degrees?
> Any helpful suggestions would be welcome.
>
> As it is very difficult to understand the owner of the computer due to her
> medical condition, I have to communicate through the niece, thus I have
not
> seen the system in question yet and  have minimal information so far:
>
> The computer was bought new a year ago, it is a pentium. I did manage to
get
> the info on the graphics adapter via phone via the niece.  "Intel
> 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics controller"  This sounds to me like its
> integrated into the motherboard, though I'm only guessing.  Also the
> operating system is windows XP
>
> Thanks for your help
> Leigh
>

> Leigh Jennings