From:
E B Lund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2006 00:02:00 -0500
As mentioned by somebody else, substituting another keyboard might do the
trick. How are your computer resources? I have found that if I am
ovewhelming my computer, all types of mischief occur.

I know it doesn't solve your problem, but I have a way for you to minimize
lost data. You indicate that your mouse continues to work, so saving a file
that way will help. If you have not previously saved a file, I can think of
2 alternatives. The first is to cut and paste text from one of your open
files into the file name.

****BONUS QUESTION FOR ALL YOU GURUS OUT THERE-On some file types I can
paste a file name into the "save file as" slot, but othertimes (like with
Word) I cannot. What's going on, and more importantly, how can I fix it?

Back to your question. If you haven't previously saved your file, and cannot
cut and paste a file name in, keep a "Break in case of fire (file?)"
filename handy. It would just be an empty file, but in case of keyboard
failure, you could save whatever file you have open to that file. Not only
would you not lose what you are working on, you would always know where to
find it.

BTW, sometimes when my (eMachines) computer is acting up, I do the three
finger salute, and then just X out of it and the problem is resolved. Can't
say why. Just works sometimes.

William Closure